A Trusted and Experienced Team Handling Your Personal Injury Case
The Curcio Law team, led by Tom Curcio, has a wide range of experience representing individuals injured in the following circumstances:
- Car Accidents. When operating a motor vehicle, drivers have a responsibility to obey the rules of the road. As we all know, that does not always happen as some motorists do not pay attention, engage in distracted driving, drunk driving, or other dangerous activities that result in serious auto accidents.
- Truck Accidents. Crashes involving 18-wheelers and other commercial trucks tend to be severe, primarily due to the enormous size of these vehicles compared to other automobiles. Distracted driving, drowsiness, poor vehicle maintenance, and speeding are common causes of truck accidents in Virginia.
- Bus Accidents. Buses, often similar in size to trucks, also require their drivers to exercise a higher level of care. Unfortunately, drivers of these vehicles are similarly often distracted, speed, are overworked and fatigued putting their passengers and other motorists at risk. The team at Curcio Law has handled cases involving school bus drivers, shuttle bus drivers, medical transport vans, and tour buses.
- Motorcycle Accidents. Motorcyclists often suffer serious or fatal injuries when involved in a crash. While subject to the same rules-of-the-road and have the same right-of-way as other motorists, crashes involving motorcycles often occur when other drivers fail to see them or do not yield the right-of-way as required.
- Bicycle Accidents. Generally speaking, the two categories of bicycling-related accidents and injuries we handle include cyclists struck by a motor vehicle or those involving a component of the bicycle failing. Tom Curcio’s first-hand knowledge of cycling has helped him to successfully represent those injured while riding bicycles as he is intimately familiar with the traffic laws as they relate to bicycles, as well as understanding the design of bicycles and their many component parts.
- Train Accidents. Thousands of residents across our region use trains on a daily or weekly basis. However, train accidents have become far too common, resulting in serious injuries or deaths for commuters. Our practice has represented several train crash victims over the years. Thomas Curcio has firsthand experience representing passengers who have been severely injured in train crashes involving D.C. METRO trains and malfunctions in the systems leading to serious injuries.
- Distracted Driving. The number of people seriously injured or killed in automobile crashes caused by drivers using cell phones is increasing. Representing those seriously injured or the loved ones of those killed by a distracted driver requires knowledge of the laws regarding cell phone use, familiarity with the physical and mental distractions caused by cell phone use, as well as effective use of the tools of discovery and subpoenas to obtain the records needed to prove cell phone use in court.
- Guardrail Accidents. While intended to redirect a motor vehicle back towards the roadway, an improperly designed, installed, or maintained guardrail can be lethal. We have the first-hand experience handling a wrongful death case involving a Lindsay X-Lite guardrail which failed to telescope on impact as designed and penetrated the passenger compartment. These are complex and challenging cases, and should the need arise you should consult a firm that has experience handling such cases.
- Dog Bites. While loyal and lovable, a poorly trained or controlled dog can be vicious and cause severe, painful, and disfiguring injuries by biting. Dog bite cases often include special obstacles to overcome to prevail, including proving that the owner or controller of the dog new, or should have known, of the dog’s aggressive tendencies…the so-called “one-bite” rule. We have handled many such cases and know how to discover and develop the evidence needed to overcome this harsh rule.
- Slip and Fall; Trip and Fall. Injuries related to proving that the person/entity responsible for premises failed to provide a reasonably safe premise and knew or should have known of the hazard before the person tripped or slipped, to either eliminate the hazard or warn about the hazard. It is critical for an injured person to promptly consult an attorney experienced and knowledgeable of the special provisions governing such claims and cases, such as the attorneys at Curcio Law.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries. Brain injuries often occur in car or truck accidents when the head impacts a window, door, or the steering wheel or when the brain moves within the skull cavity when the head “whiplashes” in a rear-end crash. Brain injuries range from what are referred to as mild traumatic brain injuries (M.T.B.I.) to severe, in which the brain bleeds, possibly leading to the death of brain tissue. Concussions, a type of M.T.B.I., will often resolve with no lingering effects, but sometimes can have lasting symptoms which affect memory, concentration, mood, balance, and light or sound sensitivity, leading to a diagnosis of Post-Concussion Syndrome. Post-Concussion Syndrome or a serious brain injury can be devastating, affecting a person’s ability to work. To prevail in a brain injury case is challenging, as often x-rays, CT and MRI scans are normal, and requires knowledge and experience in working with a medical and treating specialist such as neurologists, neuropsychologists, and vocational experts to prove the injury and its far-ranging effects. If you or a loved one has suffered a brain injury, you will be best served by contacting Tom Curcio and his team, who have handled numerous such cases and successfully taken them to trial or another law firm with experience in handling such cases.
- Wrongful Death. “Wrongful death” is the name of the claim when one seeks compensation for the death of a family member in an accident. The sudden and unexpected loss of a spouse, parent, child, sibling or relative is heartbreaking and can have far-ranging emotional and financial effects. Society recognizes this and the law allows certain relatives, such as spouses, children, parents, and possibly others depending upon the particular circumstances, to be compensated for their losses, such as emotional support and guidance, the income lost due to the death of a wage earner, the emotional pain suffered due to losing a loved one, medical bills, and funeral expenses. Successfully pursuing a wrongful death claim has its own particular challenges, and you will be well-served by consulting our law firm that has experience handling and resolving such cases.